UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Health
UNICEF supports countries in achieving their national immunization goals. The achievement of these goals depends on having strong Immunization Supply Chain Management (ISCM) systems in place that are routinely assessed and improved through the comprehensive Effective Vaccine Management Assessment.
Hence, it is in these contexts that, UNICEF Angola office is seeking assistance in the form of Technical assistant for a duration of one year, to help support government effort towards improvement of Immunization Supply Chain as outlined in the below section of this advert.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the Chief, Child Survival and Development, and in close collaboration with the Immunization Manager, and with support from UNICEF RO, the incumbent will support the country towards improvement of Immunization Supply Chain Systems. These include but are not limited to improvement on the five immunization supply chain strategies that are Data for management, Cold chain equipment management, Professionalization of immunization staff and Continuous improvement.
- Cold Chain Equipment :
- Provide technical support for the government’s project of construction of new Cold room for the central vaccine store ;
- Provide technical support in procurement and installation of four cooling units at the national vaccines store ;
- Follow up of installation of cold rooms in the various provinces of the country ;
- Provide technical support in installation and commissioning of solar direct drive refrigerators ;
- Provide technical support for the updating of national cold chain equipment inventory and rehabilitation plan ;
- Provide technical support for other cold chain system activities as may be required.
- Continuous improvement :
- Provide technical support for the preparation and conduct of National level Effective Vaccine management Assessment ;
- Provide support in the development of comprehensive cold chain and vaccine management improvement plan.
- Data for management :
- Provide technical support for the smooth operation of Stock Management Tool (SMT) at central and provincial levels ;
- Provide technical support towards the ownership and use of the facility-level stocks management platform by managers from District to National level ;
- Regularly analyze the SMT reports and flagged stock issues to government and procurement agency for possible shipment prioritization ;
- Share SMT reports with CO and RO timely on monthly basis ;
- Provide technical support for the collection, analysis and timely use for action, of data from temperature monitoring systems in vaccine storage refrigerators and cold rooms.
- Professionalization of immunization supply chain managers : Provide assistance in conducting assessment of training needs, planning and executing of capacity strengthening activities.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Public Health or other related area or social sciences is desired ;
- Proven experience in project management ;
- At least 8 years of experience in international public health programme with experience in resource-limited environments ;
- Experience of EVM assessment and comprehensive Improvement Plan development in at least one country outside his/her country of residence is an advantage ;
- Must have experience in conducting cold chain equipment inventory outside his/her country of residence ;
- Experience in temperature monitoring systems implementation, and studies ;
- Experience in SOP adaptation support outside his/her country of residence.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese ;
- Working knowledge of Spanish or another Latin language is a strong asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
- Applying Technical Expertise [II] ;
- Deciding and Initiating Actions [II] ;
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II] ;
- Analyzing [II] ;
- Planning and Organizing [II].
Technical skills and knowledge on some or all of the following
- Proven experience working in multi-stakeholder and multi-cultural settings
- Experience in writing complex funding proposals, developing multi-year budgets and operational plans for cold chain equipment management and temperature monitoring devices
- Experience in training, planning and delivery of technical assistance
- Proven track record in interfacing with national ministries of health Â
- Proficiency in WHO PQS-listed cold chain equipment
- Proficiency in the development of technical SOPs for cold chain equipment management is an advantage
View our competency framework at : Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service ;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.