Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and the direct supervision of the Head of Project Antenna Office in Yangon, in close collaboration with the UNESCO Communication and Information (CI) unit. The individual specialist shall be responsible for the following;
Terms of Reference:
1. Provide technical assistance in drafting concept notes, terms of reference, press releases, publications regarding the activities regarding Freedom of Expression, Press Freedom, Safety of Journalists, preventing hate speech and promoting peaceful society through Media and Information Literacy project.
1.1 Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities to strengthen the safety of journalists;
1.2 Dialogues, meetings, workshops and other activities to support the key stakeholders and partners;
1.3 Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities related to development and sustainability of community media;
1.4 Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities related to Media and Information Literacy (MIL), information disorder and hate speech;
1.5 Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities related to promoting peaceful society, diversity, inclusiveness and tolerance by collaborating with local Civil Society Organization/ Community Based Organizations (CSOs/CBOs).
1.6 Consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders and partners to promote collaboration and coordination for the implementation activities.
1.7 Commemoration of the World Press Freedom Day (WPFD), International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI), International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists (IDEI), World Radio Day (WRD), Global MIL Week and any other related campaigns and events.
Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in the field of communication, information science, social science, media, management or related areas.
Minimum ten (10) years of relevant professional experience, preferably in the field of communication and information.
• Excellent project management, coordination and organizational skills;
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Ability to perform in facilitating workshops, dialogues and seminars focused on freedom of expression, right to information, journalists’ safety, community media and media and information literacy;
• Strong technical skills regarding the projects related to Media and Information Literacy (MIL), safety of journalists and press freedom
• Strong expertise and demonstrated experience in developing action plans and advocacy strategies aimed at mobilizing donor support for media development initiatives.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills;
• Creative thinking and problem-solving skills;
• Proven ability to work efficiently, under pressure, and in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent knowledge of English (both written and spoken).