Avis de recrutement : Le Département des affaires économiques et sociales des Nations Unies (UN DESA) recrute un(e) Responsable principal(e) des affaires démographiques aux Etats-Unis.
Within delegated authority, the duties of the Senior Population Affairs Officer encompass the following.
• Provides advice to the Chief of Branch and Director of the Division on the conceptual and strategic development and management of the part of the Division’s substantive work programme assigned to the Section.
• Has major responsibility for the formulation, organization and management of the Section’s substantive work programme on population issues; reports thereon to intergovernmental bodies, such as the Commission on Population and Development, the Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and the regional commissions.
• Leads, supervises and carries out the work required to prepare population estimates and projections. This task includes undertaking the development or improvement of methods for the preparation of population estimates and projections.
• Leads, supervises and carries out the work required to produce studies on population levels and trends or population policies in relation to social and economic factors. Such studies can focus on specific population issues, such as fertility; family planning; internal or international migration; urbanization; mortality; population structure and composition; population ageing; population policies; population, environment and development; HIV/AIDS; and population trends and economic growth.
• Leads, supervises and carries out the work involved in undertaking methodological studies concerning the components of population change and their estimation. Develops or adapts methodology as required.
• Leads and supervises the development and maintenance of databases containing demographic indicators, population and development indicators, population policy information and indicators or information on other population-related issues. Cooperates in the development and design of appropriate software for the efficient use and management of such databases.
• Carries out the administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Section, including preparation of budgets, reporting on programme performance, evaluation of staff performance (PAS), interviews of candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates and preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting.
• Provides guidance and training for staff under his/her supervision. Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Section. Ensures that staff follow appropriate standards in the preparation of reports and other output.
• Leads and supervises the organization of expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on population-related issues. Is responsible for the substantive preparation and organization of such meetings or seminars.
• Participates in international, regional or national meetings to present the results of research; provides substantive expertise on an issue, or holds substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
• Represents the Population Division at international, regional or national meetings.
• Leads, supervises and provides support to technical cooperation projects in the area of population and development.
• Prepares research proposals for external funding on population issues.
• Prepares briefing notes on population and development issues for Branch Chief/Director and other senior staff in the United Nations. Prepares press releases and provides information to the press and media, as necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in demography or in sociology, statistics, economics or related field with an emphasis on demography is required. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work Experience :
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in population analysis and research or related area is required;
- Experience in analysis of patterns and trends of international migration or urbanization in the context of sustainable development is required;
- Experience in developing and applying methods for the estimation, projection or analysis of migration or urbanization is desirable;
- Experience in collecting or analyzing data on migration or urbanization policies is desirable;
- Experience in coordinating projects involving the preparation, processing or analysis of demographic data is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Application deadline : February 17th, 2023