INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference :
Job Title : Head of Mission
Code : SR-52-1477
Duty station : Tripoli and Tunisia
Starting date : 01/08/2020
Contract duration : 6 months
Reporting to : Regional Director
Supervision of : Mission Staff
Dependents : Family Duty station
General context of the project :
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
Libya is facing a complex and protracted humanitarian and protection crisis, as a result of armed conflict, the breakdown of public service provision and governance and economic challenges. 1.8m people are affected by the conflict, with almost a million in need of support. 300.000 are in a acute need of support.
INTERSOS started its intervention in Libya in 2018, focusing mainly on protection activities in Tripoli and Sabah districts, with the support of UNICEF, WFP and Stichting Vluchteling (SV) Foundation for a total portfolio of 2.3 million EUR. The management team, composed of 4 expatriates (HOM; finance, program coordinator and the protection technical advisor) is currently based in Tunis, Tunisia. In Libya, the team is composed of 25 national staff.
General purpose of the position :
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in Libya and Tunisia, and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Programme Dept.
Main responsibilities and tasks :
- To represent the organization legally and promote its mandate in the countries of intervention. Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities ;
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs, partners and other stakeholders and develop strategic partnerships overall
- Security management and analysis ;
- Define strategic orientations for the development of the mission considering a financial growth; ability to translate strategic macro objectives into concrete actions and embark the team ;
- Monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new strategy of interventions – including the development of operations in Tunisia ;
- Support the definition of the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts ;
- Oversees the good functioning of the support services ;
- Oversees the quality implementation of projects as per internal and external standards and requirements ;
- Responsible for the development and promotion of communication and advocacy materials highlighting the beneficiaries needs and the role of the organization in addressing them ;
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance ;
- Ensures the correct flow of operational information within the mission and with the region and headquarters.
Experience / Training :
Required profile and experience :
Education : Postgraduate degree (MA or LLM) in International Humanitarian Action, International Relations, or similar relevant field.
Professional Experience : At least 3 years of professional experience as Head of Mission, Country Director for International NGO or at least 5 years in roles of increasing level of responsibility.
Professional Requirements :
- Experience in humanitarian volatile contexts ;
- Experience in scaling-up a mission ;
- Proven experience in strategy development and implementation; ability to translate concretely strategic macro objectives into concrete actions and embark the team ;
- Experience with the development of a fundraising strategy ;
- Demonstrated experience in remote management (coordination mechanisms, communication and distance support) ;
- Demonstrated negotiation skills ;
- Familiarity with programs mainly oriented towards Protection (including child protection) ;
- Strong HR leadership and management skills ;
- Experience with communication and advocacy ;
- Ready to travel up to 50% of the time to Libya and ensure a strong presence of the teams on the ground depending of the security situation ;
- Knowledge of the context of the Libyan crisis, of a protracted crisis and of the MENA Region is an asset ;
- Knowledge and commitment towards Child Protection Policy / Protection from Sexual exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) Policy ;
- Familiarity with and knowledge of MEAL system is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills ;
- Arabic, French and Italian will be considered an asset.
Personal Requirements :
- Shows flexibility, availability and adaptability ;
- Manage conflicts in a constructive way ;
- Support and advise colleagues and contribute to their development ;
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors ;
- Proactive and collaborative approach to work ;
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player ;
- Contributes to the development of tools and methods that might be useful in the field of work ;
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams ;
- Willing to consider Libya as an opportunity for his/her career.
How to apply :
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below :
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-52-1477 – Head of Mission – Lybia”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.