For millennia, people have been hunting wildlife for food. But today, due to population increase and a growing demand for meat, overhunting for wild meat is threatening hundreds of wildlife species with extinction. When forests and grasslands are empty of wildlife and the rivers, lakes and coastal reefs have will be emptied of fish, not only irreplaceable biodiversity will be lost, but indigenous and traditional people will have lost a vital source of nutrition, income and cultural identity.
The Sustainable Wildlife Management (SWM) Programme is developing innovative solutions based on field projects in thirteen countries. It is a seven-year (2018-2024) African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) initiative, which is being funded by the European Union with co-funding from the French Facility for Global Environment. It is being implemented by a dynamic consortium of four partners with expertise in wildlife conservation and food security. In Madagascar, the Sustainable Wildlife Management Programme is implemented in and around Makira Natural Park, the largest national park in the country. It aims at improving the management of hunting and fishing, increasing poultry and fish production, and encouraging the consumption of domestic meat, to ensure the sustainability of natural resources and the livelihoods of the rural populations living in Makira.
WCS is currently looking for a motivated candidate to manage the SWM Madagascar project.
Under the supervision of the MaMaBay Coordinator, the Makira Sustainable Wildlife Management Program Coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting on site activities funded by the Program in collaboration with the Makira Natural Park management team and other concerned WCS Madagascar team members. He / she will coordinate activities in the field to ensure that they are aligned with the various documents governing the management of Makira NP (Management Plans, Project Development Documents and the WCS Madagascar Strategic Plan).
To learn more about the SWM program, the candidates can refer to the following links :
Principle functions :
- Updating of the project documents for the site developed during the start-up phase based on the directives provided by the results coordinators ;
- Development of annual work plans and budgets for site level activities in collaboration with WCS team members and external partners ;
- Supervision of project staff and continuous technical support to the Director of the Makira Park and to the Control and Surveillance Manager concerning the operations and management of the park ;
- Coordination of the implementation of activities on site in accordance with the agreed work plan and budget ;
- Technical and financial monitoring of the implementation of the project (monitoring of the work plan and the financial pipelines) ;
- Coordination of technical reports for activities at site level.Contribution to communication activities and to the presentation of the site.
Experience / Training :
- Master’s degree in natural resources management, rural development, environmental sciences or a related field ;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the management of complex development projects in the context of developing countries in the environmental or rural development sectors ;
- Excellent technical and financial skills in project management and experience in managing multicultural project teams ;
- Experience working and living in remote places in developing countries and ability to cope with basic living conditions ;
- Good communication, organization and animation skills ;
- Ability to work in a team and in a multidisciplinary framework ;
- Ability to travel frequently ;
- Experience in Africa is essential, and experience in Madagascar will be an advantage ;
- Excellent communication skills in French and ability to work professionally in English. Knowledge of the Malagasy language will be an asset.
How to apply :
Application files consisting of motivation letter, CV and expected salary to be sent before May 25, 2020 to the following address : WCS « Recrutement Coordinateur PGDF » BP 8500 Soavimbahoaka – 101 Antananarivo
Or by email at : [email protected] copying [email protected]
The full terms of reference of the position can be requested by emailing the following address : [email protected]