Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
The Nigeria mission came under ACF-FR management on January 1st 2019. Financing is issued from donors such as DFID, ECHO, GAC, OFDA, SDC, UNICEF, EU, USAID, AFD, French Ministry of Foreign affairs, SIDA and UNOCHA NHF. The total budget amounts to approximately 70 million USD. The mission has over 600 staff including over 40 international employees. There are three base offices: Damaturu, Maiduguri and Dutse and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
Abuja is calm and there is now curfew for ACF staff in Abuja. All Abuja based expats are assigned permanent rooms in the guesthouse. ACF has a well-equipped Gym in Abuja Guest House for the use of staff. There are 4 Janitors available during week days in the guesthouse. They are responsible for cleaning all the rooms and laundry of clothes.
As Abuja is a capital with a large number of international development and humanitarian organizations are having their coordination offices. In the city, there are all sort of restaurants in which you can find the variety of foreign foods along with local foods. Abuja has many shopping malls where one can buy easily any sort of staff and daily need based grocery etc.
Length of contract : 5 months – Maternity leaves
Starting date : As soon as possible
The position :
As a key member of the senior management team, you will be responsible for grant compliance, development of grants management systems/tools, provide leadership for the pursuit of institutional donor resources, explore private partnerships, oversee the strategic development of proposal design and identifying/vetting potential local partners.
You will be directly supervised by the Country Director and will work in close collaboration with the Technical Deputy Country Director and the Support Deputy Country Director.
Your main responsibilities are :
Grants & Compliance :
- Develop and support the use of grants management tools and systems ;
- Ensure high-quality and timely grant reporting with the support of Grants and Reporting Officer ;
- Provide donor regulations to program teams and provide technical support on donor regulations and compliance ;
- Identify risks of compliance and suggest mitigation measures.
Training and capacity building :
- Support field teams on project design and implementation ;
- Facilitate trainings and capacity building for field teams, in particular Program Managers and Field Coordinators on the Project Management Cycle ;
- Identify the different reporting and monitoring tools of AAH-US and train teams to use these tools together (Activity Progress Reports, Budget follow-ups, etc.).
Proposal Development :
- In coordination with the Technical Deputy Country Director, lead program staff teams in the development of quality proposals ;
- Liaise with field teams and support staff to ensure coherence between budget and support sections with proposal narrative ;
- Coordinate with the HQ to ensure proposals meet internal standards ;
- Visit field sites in order to work directly with program staff on the development of proposals.
- Identify potential opportunities for partnerships with local and international organizations ;
- Develop MOUs and teaming agreements for partnerships in compliance with AAH HQ guidelines ;
- Vet potential partners with support of the program teams, support team, CD and DCDs.
Do you fit with the position?
- You have at least five years of work experience in international development or humanitarian assistance, and you are known for leading new business development efforts, including program design, proposal writing, and partner relationship development (such as DFID, USAID/OFDA/FFP and ECHO) ;
- You master Project Management Cycle and the associated tools ;
- You have excellent written and oral communications skills. You have demonstrated ability to write and edit reports under deadline pressure ;
- You are well-organized, attentive to detail and able to manage multiple tasks concurrently ;
- You are fluent (written and spoken) in English – this is mandatory.
Specific conditions / Salary :
Status : unaccompanied – the position is based in Abuja with 30 to 50% of the time travelling to AAH programs in North East Nigeria.
Contract : fixed term contract under French legislation.
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2450 to 2800 € upon experience ;
- Per diem and living allowance: 539 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid ;
- +150€ as country allowance ;
- + 16% of monthly gross for non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance ;
- + child allowance.
Medical coverage : 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR :
- 25 days of paid leaves per year ;
- + 20 RnR per year ;
- + 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 3 months) ;
- Support for transport tickets to the reference recovery area.
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.