Are you looking for an opportunity to become part of a professional team of humanitarian and mine action experts in one of the world’s most challenging context? As DanChurchAid’s (DCA) new Area Manager, you will support the Country Director in coordinating, and ensuring the successful implementation of the programme, assist in overseeing the administrative, finance, and HR processes, support the logistic and communication needs of the programme, and provide programmatic technical guidelines.
DCA DR Congo Country Programme :
DCA aims to protect vulnerable communities in DR Congo and contributes to efforts to improve stability, by addressing and mitigating the consequences of conflict and displacement. We clear explosive remnants of war, and assist communities affected by conflict and displacement by addressing protection needs and ensuring access to improved educational opportunities.
Role and responsibilities :
- Ensuring that all DCA systems for program administration and financial management are implemented and adhered to, including responsibility for budgets delegated by the Project Managers ;
- In collaboration with PMs, ensuring quality implementation of projects within specified time frames ;
- Regular project follows up in his/her geographical areas where the projects are implemented ;
- Ensuring that systems for monitoring program/project activities are implemented ;
- Management of staff reporting directly to the Area Manager ;
- Establish a good working environment based on the DCA values ;
- Recruitment of local staff according to DCA policies ;
- Ensuring optimal use of human resources, incl. promotion of team work and team spirit, securing adequate training of staff and promotion of talented staff ;
- Report to the Country Director any violations of DCA’s Personnel policies and Code of Conduct ;
- Coordinating DCA program activities with authorities, United Nations agencies and other national and international agencies/organisations in the area ;
- Active participation in and promotion of coordinating bodies aimed at filling gaps and improving the assistance to the target group ;
- Identify, initiate and follow up on advocacy issues and actively promote the rights of returnees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the area, in close coordination with the Country Director ;
- In collaboration with the Security Advisor, ensuring that a Security Plan for the area is updated regularly ;
- Ensuring that DCA staff adheres to DCA´s security rules and guidelines ;
- Cooperate with United Nations and other relevant/appropriate agencies for updates on security issues in the area.
Experience / Training :
- Minimum 4 years’ experience from working as a Senior Project Manager or Senior Support Staff in a humanitarian context ;
- Knowledge of the context in DR Congo (particularly East) ;
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts ;
- Proven capacity in finance, logistics, human resources, and security management ;
- Experience of managing USAID, Swiss and EU contracts ;
- Experience with start-up is an advantage ;
- Skills in monitoring and evaluation ;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities ;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile ;
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal ;
- Understanding of Swahili is a plus ;
- Valid driver’s license ;
- Good sense of humor.
- A one-year renewable contract starting as soon as possible ;
- Non-family posting based in North Kivu (Katwe/Bwito 70% and Goma 30%) with 50% in-country travel ;
- A competitive salary package to be negotiated based on experience level ;
- Insurance as per industry standards ;
- An opportunity to make a difference addressing humanitarian needs in a challenging environment.
Terms and conditions are according to Handbook for DCA expatriate personnel, Non-Family postings. This position is subject to funding and the monthly package (including pension and hardship allowance) is 45,785 DKK.
How to apply :
Qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only applications consisting as a minimum of a motivation letter and a CV will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please note that only applications submitted through our recruitment system will be considered: