Level : P-4
Contract Type : Fixed Term Appointment
Closing date : 4 June 2020 – 5:00pm(New York time)
Duty station : Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Job ID : 30741
Job Summary :
DRC humanitarian action plan estimates that 12.8 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in 2019, as consequence of conflict, displacement, food insecurity and epidemics. In such a context, women’s and girls are particularly exposed to violence and deterioration of living conditions. Thousands of cases of sexual violence, including conflict related, have been reported by health facilities, the police and NGOs across the country. In addition, survival sex and early marriage are increasingly reported as negative coping mechanism adopted by women, girls and their families to access basic needs, including food and health-care.
The GBV team leader will oversee Gender and GBV works to keep UNFPA leadership in SGBV intervention within the country. He/She works under the supervision of the Representative.
How you can make a difference :
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience :
- Master’s degree with specialization in areas such as international development or international relations or international economics, social science, anthropology, psychology, public health, population/demography, communication, and/or other related social science disciplines ;
- Specific cursus of studies, researches or master on gender, human rights or psychology will be an asset
Knowledge and Experience :
- At least 7 years of increasingly specialized experience in gender and GBV and at least 5 years of experience in this field at international level, preferably in an African context ;
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial qualities in organizing work harmoniously within a multinational and multicultural environment ;
- At least one previous experience in Inter-Agency Coordinator on GBV or similar field (Gender, Protection, Child Protection, Reproductive Health) is essential ;
- Experience in working with survivors will be an asset.
- Fluent in French (reading, writing and speaking). Working knowledge in English (writing and reading) ;
- To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click “Apply Now” below.