Recruitment of a Health Finance Director (Full Time Position) – Rwanda IHSA
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
The Rwanda Integrated Health Systems Activity (RIHSA) is a newly awarded, three year project funded by the U.S Agency for International Development (USAID) based in Kigali, Rwanda. RIHSA works to reduce the financial barriers to healthcare in Rwanda through a mix of public and private interventions. RIHSA works to improve the quality of essential health services at national, facility, and community levels utilizing a health systems approach.
Purpose of Position
Palladium seeks a Health Finance Director based in Kigali, Rwanda. This position will provide leadership, direction, and content to health finance policy development and implementation in Rwanda. The Health Finance Director has overall technical responsibility for the project health financing portfolio. Primary responsibility will be to assist the country team to develop technical strategies, approaches and plans, implement activities and monitor progress towards outlined project milestone/deliverables/ approved workplans. The Health Finance Director will also develop technical documents, provide technical oversight to teams, manage the technical aspects of outsourcing any technical services, review and finalize technical products (studies, reports, briefers, slide decks) and provide overall capacity building support and mentoring to the country team. The position reports to the Chief of Party. The position is expected to be needed through the life of the program, dependent on donor funding. Applicants are expected to have existing legal authority to work in Kigali and Palladium will not pay for relocation to Kigali.
Roles and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Lead design and implementation of technical support activities related to health financing in Rwanda
- Stays abreast of key developments in health finance, budget advocacy, community-based health insurance, and resource allocation innovations and interventions in Rwanda to inform technical activities under the Rwanda IHSA. This includes frequent interaction with the Government of Rwanda stakeholders relevant to this area as well as multilateral partners and donor agencies
- Represents the project, company, and programs in the health financing area in Rwanda, as well as with others in the professional community
- Prepares financial protection and domestic resource mobilization analyses, recommendations, briefing notes, and assessments for internal and client use
- Provides assistance to others on matters related to topic area of research and evaluation and applies relevant methodologies to programmatic issues of importance
- Supervises short-term local consultants in Rwanda assigned to health finance activities
- Interacts with internal and external resources and other experts to bring new and “cutting edge” ideas into approaches
- Conducts all work to accepted standards of research ethics
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Lead and manage staff professional development to build their capacity and strengthen competency and professional development in health financing
- Provide technical staff training where necessary (i.e. On- the- job -training, through coaching or formal short courses facilitated by managers themselves to develop to skills and knowledge)
- Conduct regular staff performance appraisals, monitoring progress and setting objectives: this is part of the organization’s performance management system and performance appraisal system
- MPH, MSc, MA, MBA or similar with a focus on health financing in public health, international development, health economics, public policy, health sector management, or related field
- At least 8 years’ experience in health finance, global health consulting, international development, or other related fields
- Understanding of health systems and health financing issues in developing country contexts required
- Experience developing and implementing activities in support of universal health coverage objectives, required
- Experience in public financial management, decentralization and citizen engagement, health policy and financing, local economic development, results-based financing and/or public-private partnerships (PPPs) desirable
- Familiarity with Rwandan health system and health financing landscape preferred
- Familiarity with USAID-supported projects
- Sound knowledge of methodologies used in health finance research
- Ability to present complex information to diverse audiences. Clear and effective writing and oral communication skills, including significant experience with report development and delivering oral presentations supported by PowerPoint slides.
- Strong program management, organizational, and interpersonal skills required
- Appropriate computer skills necessary to conduct research, and to conduct analysis of study data (Excel, STATA, SPSS or similar)
- Strong analytical and computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web-based research) – this includes data analytics
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe
- Professional and mature demeanor and conduct
- Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations
- Work well with limited oversight and with diverse cross-cultural groups, partners, and colleagues
- Fluency in English required
- Must be willing to live and travel within Rwanda