Base : Malakal
Duration : 6 months – renewable.
Date of recruitment : ASAP
About the mission :
The context :
The civil armed conflict that broke out in South Sudan in mid‐December 2013 has burdened the country with a multi‐layered arrays of challenges. According to OCHA and UNHCR, in December 2018, over 4 million people were still forced to flee their homes due to insecurity, including 1.87 million IDPs and 2.27 million refugees still hosted in neighboring countries. The protracted nature of the conflict has considerably destroyed key basic infrastructures, and weakened livelihood opportunities, while eroding the coping capacities of the local communities. The population is also facing the impact of climate change, with alteration of usual rainfall patterns, leading to seasonal droughts and flooding, causing further displacements and contributing to resource‐based conflicts. Public health services are non existent and reproductive health and health indicators in the country are amongst the worst in the world.
Solidarités International in South Sudan :
SI has started to implement its humanitarian response in South Sudan in 2006. Its long lasting presence has contributed to build a wealth of experience in WASH and FSL assessments, implementation and accountability to beneficiaries. In December 2013, SI became a key WASH actor for IDPs in the PoC of Malakal and implemented construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities, waste management and hygiene promotion activities. Following the displacement from Wau Shilluk, SI is also present in Aburoc since 2017 and was one of the very first actors on the ground to implement WaSH activities, and is currently the WaSH site focal point for the cluster.
About the job :
The Logistician-Administrator will implement and supervise all logistics operations at his/her assigned base. He/she reports to the Field Coordinator.
Line report(s) on base : Entire base logistics and administrative team
Functional manager : Logistics Coordinator and Administrative Coordinator
- He/she will organize logistic support for programs, in keeping with Solidarités International procedures ;
- He/she will assist the base manager or the field coordinator in the implementation of safety rules ;
- The Logistician-Administrator also carries out administrative, accounting and financial management of his/her base, in compliance with donor and SOLIDARITES International procedures ;
- He/she supervises accounting operations and cash management, and carries out budget follow up in conjunction with the program managers ;
- He/she is also one of those charged with ensuring that Solidarités International’s Human Resources policy is properly implemented at the base ;
- He supports monitors and trains the members of his administrative team.
The main stakes :
- Supply Management ;
- Vehicle Fleet Management ;
- Equipment/Telecommunications Management ;
- Management and Monitoring of IT Equipment ;
- Supplies Management ;
- Human Resource Management ;
- Security ;
- Reporting/Capitalization ;
- Administrative management of personnel ;
- Team management ;
- Cash-flow/bookkeeping ;
- Budgetary / financial monitoring ;
- Administrative management of the mission ;
His/her main challenges are :
- Stock management improvement both in Aburoc and Malakal (no staff currently in Malakal) ;
- Possible base opening in Malakal town (depending on context evolution) ;
- Aburoc Security needs improvement ;
- Vehicle movement very chalenging and reduced during rainy season (May to Dec) ;
- Local market is very limited in Aburoc, improving in Malakal since context is more stable ;
- Small log team that needs capacity building ;
- To implement relevant working plan between Aburoc and Malakal ;
- Improvement of living conditions in Aburoc(basic) and Malakal (heat).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent ;
- Minimum of 1 year in Supply Chain management & logistics management experience in humanitarian relief contexts ;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience at Base Administrator position in humanitarian context ;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Solidarites procedures ;
- Team management and supervisory experience ;
- Previous experience in South Sudan is major advantage.
- Strong management and training skills ;
- Strong initiative with solid organisational, diplomacy and communication skills ;
- Stress management skills ;
- Ability to work well within a team ;
- Strong capacity of adaptation, ideally from working/living in a developing country ;
- Ability to live and work in remote area with basic accommodation conditions (tents) ;
- Ability to live in insecure environments.
- Fluent English – written and spoken ;
- Arabic is an asset.
Computer skills : Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management.
SI is looking for a dedicated and committed staff member, able to work in a remote and isolated location with limited access to services and basic living conditions; but willing 1/ to join a program with high humanitarian and life-saving impact and 2/ actively contribute to the strategic direction of SI’s mission in South Soudan.
Si will offer you :
- A salaried post: from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) ;
- Per Diem of 700 USD per month ;
- R&R : 7 working days every 3 months with a 850 USD contribution by SI. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every month with your salary as they are offered by the organization ;
- Social and medical cover : Insurance package including coverage of all healthcare expenditures (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Living conditions and security situation :
- SI base in Malakal was established in 2007; due to the 2017 looting of the compound and the volatile security environment, SI team is currently staying at the Humanitarian Hub inside UNMISS base ;
- Security is a restricting factor at times, as security situation remains uncertain. A 6 PM curfew is for the moment active ;
- Heavy rains from July to October (rainy season) allowing limited movement. Malaria prophylaxis is strongly recommended during the rainy season ;
- Small international community ;
- No occidental food available but few Ethiopian restaurants ;
- Very corporative team.
- For further information about Solidarités International, please check our website : here ;
- To apply, please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.