Start date : August 20th2020
Location : Juba with travel to the field
Duration : 12 months
About the mission :
SI has started to implement its humanitarian response in South Sudan in 2006. Its long lasting presence has contributed to build a wealth of experience in WASH and FSL assessments, implementation and accountability to beneficiaries. In December 2013, SI became a key WASH actor for IDPs in the PoC of Malakal and implemented construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities, waste management and hygiene promotion activities. Following the displacement from Wau Shilluk, SI is also present in Aburoc since 2017 and was one of the very first actors on the ground to implement WaSH activities, and is currently the WaSH site focal point for the cluster.
SI has also implemented food security activities in South Sudan; piloting large-scale unconditional cash transfers amongst IDPs and host communities in Upper Nile State, as well as seeds distribution in Malakal.
In 2017, SI opened a base in Raja, Western Bahr el Ghazal, where SI has been implementing WASH in Health as well as Food Security and Livelihoods programmes in partnership with ALIMA, notably under OFDA, GIZ and SSHF grants. Thanks to these interventions, SI has managed to reach some of the remote locations in Raja such as Timsaha and Boro Medina, giving a good experience in dealing with the different actors in the area.
Furthermore, since October 2018, SI is implementing a WaSH response for Ebola and Cholera preparedness in Nimule and Juba, especially through IPC WASH and WaSH in Health interventions.
Finally, SI is implementing RRM programs since 2012 in many different settings with various interventions, allowing SI to develop deep knowledge and understanding of the different challenges South Sudan is facing.
The 2020 strategy is to continue along the same angles and it is oriented towards the following 2 axes :
- Ensure access to emergency WaSH and shelter services for vulnerable and acutely vulnerable populations (EP&R team: all around the country) ;
- Provide the conflict-affected populations of South Sudan with durable and sustainable WASH and FSL support (Raja, Upper Nile, Nyirol county).
The overall budget of the South Sudan mission is circa 2 million USD :
SI coordination is located in Juba and there are 3 operational bases. In total, there are currently 8 expats in the all missions :
- Coordination: currently 5 persons in the coordination team and 2 are under recruitment ;
- Raja team: currently 2 expats, 1 FC and 1 log/admin. PM for the new funding is under recruitment ;
- Fashoda: currently 1 expat (1 WASH PM). Log/admin is under recruitment.
About the job :
The program coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing sector-based strategies for the whole activities.
He/she specifically the guarantor of the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness between SI’s activities and general objectives and needs of the population.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of programs implemented in the intervention country.
He/she contributes to the capitalization process and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques.
List of main tasks :
- Strategic orientation ;
- Propose and develop a sector-based strategy in accordance with SI’s policies and priorities for the intervention country ;
- Propose and organize mission’s diagnostics ;
- Support the head of mission in the monitoring and analysis of SI intervention sectors and the analysis of the donors’ strategies for the organization’s activities.
Relevance and quality of projects :
- Validate the relevance of any assessments carried out ;
- Propose and organize monitoring and evaluation activities ;
- Support the program teams in setting up a technical approach and assessing the financial, human, and logistical elements of programs to be implemented ;
- Approve the technical approaches and aspects of projects ;
- Ensure that all programs are implemented respecting Solidarités International annual operational strategy, technical requirements, and the criteria stipulated by the donors ;
- Ensure the relevance and consistency of all programs vis-à-vis the needs of the populations ;
- Develop team capacities with trainings and new methodologies.
Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring :
- Ensure that resources from the Tool Box are used correctly in the management of the project cycle ;
- Ensure that the workplan and monitoring timetable of each project is consolidated / validated ;
- Approve the quality criteria and performance indicators of the programs proposed by the program managers ;
- Ensure that monitoring indicators are in place and relevant ;
- With the coordination team, take part in the monthly review of programs (budgetary, operational, logistical…) ;
- Provide support and advice to the logistical service for the purchase of specific materials, with the guidance of the technical department at HQ level ;
- Provide a technical and methodological support to program managers for the planning and implementation of programs ;
- Supervise and support the program managers, monitor and evaluate activities implemented ;
- Anticipate difficulties relating to how his/her tasks are carried out and facilitate the resolution of problems ;
- Monitor the evolution of the context and the indicators and propose the reorientation of activities.
- Ensure that SI’s capitalization tools are correctly used and disseminated throughout the headquarters (technical unit and desks) ;
- Participate in the centralization and dissemination of procedures, guides and tools linked to activities ;
- Propose improvements to existing tools ;
- Form a network of experts, develop technical partnerships with others actors in the intervention zone and regularly keep the technical unit informed ;
- In coordination with the technical unit, capitalize on the intervention methods and techniques, and on the experiences acquired by SI and others actors in the field ;
- Ensure that handover reports are written by all program managers before the end of their contract and that these are sent to headquarters.
Personnel management :
- In conjunction with HQ HR, define the prerequisites for technical position openings and adapt existing criteria if necessary ;
- Implement technical training in line with operational needs and the training requirements identified ;
- Lead workshops, coordination meetings and/or technical exchange programs ;
- Evaluate and assess the performance of collaborators under his/her direct supervision ;
- Supervise adherence to security regulations by personnel under his/her supervision.
Reporting / communication / representation :
- Support the Head of Mission with fundraising and the negotiation ;
- Support the grants department in the drafting of project proposals ;
- Consolidate the internal activity reports and support the grants department in the supervision and the preparation of reports and/or amendments ;
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format ;
- Ensure that SI is represented at all meetings or forums concerning SI programs ;
- Represent SI when asked and/or delegated to do so ;
- Reply to HQ requests regarding specific needs.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the humanitarian environment managing projects ;
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments, with consequent experience in supporting emergency response or early recovery ;
- Experience in coordinating different projects at the same time ;
- Experience in South Sudan is an asset.
- Significant knowledge and experience of project cycle management ;
- Good technical knowledge in WASH and or FSL is a most ;
- Team management abilities and cultural awareness ;
- Coordination skills and good representation and collaboration with the different stakeholders (donors, clusters, other NGOs, Embassy…) ;
- Writing skills (project proposals), oral capacities (leading meetings, etc.) ;
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and support and/or fill multiple positions at one time ;
- Strong initiative, flexibility and creativity ;
- Strong resilience and resistance to stress, difficult living and working conditions ;
- Commitment to the job and the organization ;
- Knowledge of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s field of expertise and specific tools would be a strong asset.
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read), essential for writing reports and for external coordination ;
- Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset.
Computer skills :
- General computer literacy ;
- Comprehensive knowledge and very good command of MS Office ;
- GIS (Google Earth at least, QGIS is a most) ;
- Kobo knowledge (coding XLS, knowledge of the Kobo interface).
Si will offer you :
Salaried position : According to experiences, salary starts from 2640 euros gross per month (2400 euros base salary+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
SI also covers accommodation costs (SI guesthouse) and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
R&R : During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract).
Social and medical cover : Expatriates benefit from an insurance package, which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Living conditions and security :
General environement and living conditions :
Juba is the State capital, situated just north of the equator and is subject to very hot and humid weather. During the hot season (November to May), temperatures can reach up to the late forties. The rainy season lasts about 5 months from May to October, but temperatures remain quite high.
In Juba : There are three large markets and some supermarkets that cater for most needs with quality meat, vegetables and cheese now being available. However, it is important to bear in mind that the cost of food in Juba is very expensive and eating out can be expensive with prices ranging from $8-30 for a main meal. The variety of restaurants is excellent with every taste being catered for. There are many riverside bars on the banks of the Nile. There’s numerous NGOs based in Juba and the social life is very lively, with sport sessions, movies, parties, etc.
Office and GH are in the same compound but separated (2 linked compounds). There is 1 guest house with 9 bedrooms and internet access, in GH, there is a kitchen (with fridge) and dining/common area with DSTV. Bathrooms are basic (hot water) but comfortable, with real toilets and AC when generator is running (which is not the case in the field). When city power is not available we rely on generators (until 12 AM) or backup batteries system for power so that energy is available (24/7).
There is an internal curfewfrom 10:30 PM till 9:00 AM in Juba. In certain areas of Juba, this curfew is from 7:30 PM till 9:00 AM. Beside the current security risks associated to a potential attack of Juba by rebel groups, the main security risk in Juba is robbery and police checks at night. It is possible to walk in the streets during the day, providing avoiding some places in town. There’s a night driver for movements out of office hours.
Comment postuler :
- If you are committed, dedicated, solutions-oriented and willing to contribute to our programs in South Sudan, we would be happy to hear from you!
- Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB : The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your understanding.
For further information about Solidarités International, please check our website : http://www.solidarites.org/en/