About the role :
This is a 24 month, replacement role with accompanied terms based in Monrovia with a salary of Grade 5 €44,095 – €48,995
You will report to the Country Director and will line manage the Systems Coordinator, HR Supervisor, Logistics Supervisor, Administrator, Transport Manager and IT Officer. You will work closely with the Programmes Director, Country Financial Controller, Programme Coordinators, Dublin personnel (RD, Desk Officer, Systems technical advisors, etc), partners, consortium members, government authorities, donors, and other NGOs. We would like you to start as soon as possible.
Your purpose :
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) contribute to the development and management of the overall country programme, ensuring effective and efficient systems support to programme implementation in both a development and an emergency context. Reporting to the Country Director (CD), take specific responsibility for coordinating and managing the support systems (Admin, HR, Logistics, IT) and operational responsibility for security management for Concern’s programme in Liberia in accordance with organisational and donor policies. Represent Concern to relevant external stakeholders as necessary.
You will be responsible for :
Providing strategic leadership as part of the Senior Management team :
- Participate in the management of the country programme’s strategic issues through involvement in decision making ;
- Participate in the development of Concern Liberia’s Country Strategic Plan (CSP) and other strategic frameworks (Preparing for Effective Emergency Response (PEER), Security Management Plan (SMP) etc) in collaboration with all relevant staff and third parties as necessary ;
- Support the Programme Director and Country Director in the analysis of potential new programme areas, including ensuring comprehensive analyses of logistical and security issues and appropriate mitigating measures to address them ;
- Produce strategic analysis and plans for all systems support areas to strengthen the control environment while delivering fast, effective and efficient support to the programmes ;
- Take a lead role in ensuring that Concern Liberia adhere to international minimum standards of accountability and quality, through the application of relevant standards and internal documents relating to policies and procedures, most notably the P4 and Code of Conduct.
Management of Systems/ Support Functions :
- Ensure that logistics systems including procurement, transportation, warehouse storage, control of and reporting on the use of supplies are carried out in accordance with Concern and Donor procedures and policies ;
- Ensure that logistic systems are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure their efficiency and alignment with the needs of the Country strategy ;
- Implement effective and efficient fleet management controls and procedures and monitor these on an ongoing basis ;
- Implement effective and efficient asset management controls and procedures and monitor these on an ongoing basis ;
- Ensure that guidance, training and monitoring of all logistical procedures and policies are given to all field locations.
Human Resource Management :
- Ensure all existing and new HR Policies are devised, implemented and reviewed in line with those issued by Head Office and Liberian Labour Law ;
- Advise the SMT on strategic HR issues and risks, taking the lead on key HR initiatives ;
- Ensure that HR procedures, including recruitment and performance management, are complied with by all staff and that managers receive the training and support they need to manage their teams appropriately ;
- Ensure a training and development strategy and annual plan are developed.
- Oversee the maintenance and running of Concern’s premises (offices, stores and residences) ensuring that adequate supplies, staffing and support systems are in place ;
- Ensure the leases for all premises are pro-actively managed ;
- Take the lead on managing legal risks, ensuring compliance with relevant Liberian law in all contractual and taxation matters, liaising with the Concern lawyer on all legal matters ;
- Ensure that all issues related to taxes and government authorisations (communications licences, legal registration, project authorisations etc) are managed proactively ;
- Ensure that clear procedures for national and international travel arrangements are in place and are understood and complied with by all staff.
Communication & IT Systems Support :
- Supervise the IT staff to ensure that IT systems remain effective and that IT and communication needs of all staff are met on a timely basis ;
- Ensure that all staff understand and comply with IT policies and procedures.
Security Management :
- In conjunction with the Country Director, take overall responsibility for the security of Concern Liberia’s employees, premises and equipment ;
- Liaise with necessary external bodies to keep abreast of current affairs in order to maintain an awareness of economic, political, humanitarian and security developments in Liberia and the West Africa Region ;
- Coordinate and chair regular security meetings with the Security Focal Groups (SFG) to keep up to date with security incidents in all field locations ;
- Work with the SFGs to ensure the development and maintenance of effective security systems for Concern employees, programmes and property ;
- Revise regularly and implement the Liberia Security Management Plan.
Financial Management :
- Ensure that annual support cost budgets (and budget revisions) are complete, realistic and comply with relevant Concern and donor requirements ;
- Support the programme team in the preparation of proposals, ensuring in particular that proposal budgets include complete and realistic support costs ;
- Work with the Country Financial Controller and programme budgetholders to ensure management of relevant support department costs in programme budgets and expenditure ;
- In conjunction with the Country Director and Country Financial Controller set, manage and monitor the Systems annual budgets for Expatriates/ Transport/ Administration.
People Management :
- Manage senior Systems Department staff, contributing to their capacity building and career development through technical support and on-the-job training and coaching, including in particular a thorough induction at the start of their contract ;
- Ensure that all department positions have accurate job descriptions and that each member of the team fully understands outcomes which are expected of them, by setting SMART objectives, and that they are aware of the success criteria relating to their work ;
- Ensure that all department staff are aware of and comply with all of Concern’s policies and procedures ;
- Ensure that work within the team(s) is planned and organised in a way which will meet the organisation’s needs in the most cost effective manner possible; ensuring that team members are given appropriate workloads and are working efficiently.
Contributing to the Liberia team by :
- Taking active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as operational (eg HR) activities ;
- Ensuring the highest standards of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholders’ participation at all stages of the project cycle ;
- Being aware of, understanding and complying with all of Concern’s policies and procedures (finance, logistics etc) ;
- Being aware of, understanding, complying with and be a model of Concern’s HR policies including P4 and Code of Conduct ;
- Actively participating in any emergency response if necessary ;
- Undertaking other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director.
Your skills and experience will include :
- 3rd level qualification in relevant field (Business Administration, Human Resources, supply chain management or any other relevant disciplines) ;
- At least 6 years overseas experience with an NGO in systems roles, 2 – 3 years at a senior management level ;
- Experience of leading and managing a diverse team of senior staff including international staff ;
- Proven strong management ability, including ability to motivate and develop skills of others ;
- Experience of at least 2 years working in challenging contexts ;
- Fluent English (written and spoken) ;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills. Strong problem solving and analytical skills ;
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital and experience fairly basic conditions ;
- Demonstrated experience of training and capacity building, ideally in a resource-poor country ;
- Ability to work under pressure with numerous deadlines, and priorities ;
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Experience of a range of donor rules and regulations, particularly USAID and EU ;
- Experience working in Liberia or West Africa ;
- Knowledge of Concern Policies, or policies of similar INGOs ;
- Experience of both development and emergency contexts.
We would also like :
- Excellent interpersonal skills ;
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity ;
- Good sense of humour ;
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation ;
- Excellent communication skills ;
- Demonstrated experience of team building and working in a participatory manner ;
- Flexible and adaptable approach to working in a changing environment.