The National Climate Finance Advisor will work hand in hand with the In-country Facilitator to achieve the outlined deliverables. She/he will be embedded within the Ministry of Natural Resources and Climate Change in the Environmental Affairs Department (EAD) where s/he can deal with a whole spectrum of planners and policy makers within government. S/he shall report to and perform under the overall guidance and supervision of the NDC Partnership Country Engagement Specialist and Regional Manager. Official reporting shall be by means of monthly, quarterly and end of assignment reports submitted to both government and the NDC Partnership. Generally, one week will be allowed for finalisation of a report after the end of each reporting period.
The following responsibilities are part of the embedded incumbent role:
Programme and Project Development
- Provide technical guidance on development of project concept notes and full project proposals from the NDC Implementation Plan.
- Support incorporation of NDC relevant projects into sector development/investment plans to benefit from national budgetary allocations.
- Lead the development of an NDC investment plan.
- Provide input on NDC mainstreaming into national development plans and other strategies and budgets.
- Develop bankable project concept notes and full project proposals. This responsibility includes collection of data and physical consultations (where necessary).
- Profile low emission and climate resilient projects that have been developed to a bankable stage.
- Provide input on operationalization of the NDC Resource Mobilization Strategy.
- Provide timely advice on international funding opportunities from which NDC relevant projects may benefit and facilitate exchange between national contacts and the various sources of funding.
- Organize meetings and conferences to mobilize resources for NDC implementation.
- Support organisation of a results-oriented Donors Conference aimed at mobilising resources for the country to advance NDC implementation. The international Climate Advisor will take the lead to design the conference in a way that will yield the intended results.
- Support incorporation and mainstreaming of the NDC into the National Development Plans, sub-national plans, strategies, budgets and other national strategies where applicable. This includes the Malawi NDC Mainstreaming Guidelines.
- Organize and conduct targeted stakeholder engagement meetings which will be complimented by the Environmental Affairs Department (EAD) joining regular development partner meetings to provide updates on priority areas in the NDC Implementation Plan.
- Identification of support areas that remove barriers to NDC implementation through engagement.
- Organize and engage in regular internal and external stakeholder engagement meetings including government departments, development partners, implementing partners and other non-state actors.
- Actively contribute to the NDC Investment Plan which will provide information on greenhouse gas (GHG) mitigation opportunities and the potential means for financing these opportunities.
This is a home-based retainer position with a lot of interaction and face to face contact for maximized results. Therefore, the national advisor is to be resident in Malawi for the entire duration of the assignment. He/she will need to bring his/her own laptop to the ministry’s duty station. The contract is for twelve (12) months with possibility of extension depending on performance and on availability of funds.