UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future :
Niger is a landlocked Sahelian country of 19.2 million people, over half of whom are under the age of 15. Nearly half of the population is poor, despite reductions in the poverty rate over the past decade, and the country ranked last on the 2014 Human Development Index. Indicators are particularly alarming for women and children. Through its 2019-21 Country Progamm, UNICEF works toward the full realization of the rights of children and a reduction of disparities, with the aim of achieving equity. UNICEF operates from the capital city, Niamey, as well as from 4 zonal offices, Agadez, Maradi, Diffa and Tahoua.
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF Niger is looking for a dedicated, self-driven professional with strong technical knowledge, people management skills and ability to coordinate within a dynamic and multi-cultural team environment. The HR Officer is responsible for providing strategic support to the sections in the management of talents and research, and implementation of solutions to improve Duty of care including in the context of COVID19. She/he reports to the HR Manager for guidance, training and supervision. As a Business Partner, the incumbent provides support to the supervisor and colleagues in the unit by executing HR services through applying knowledge of theoretical HR models, as well as understanding of organizational HR policies and procedures. He/She works closely in partnerships with colleagues and stakeholders in the delivery of HR programmes, activities and initiatives.
Key responsibilities include :
Business Partnering :
- Through research of policies and analysis of data, provide support to the HR Business Partner in advising their clients on HR-related needs and developing subsequent plans of action ;
- Provide accurate and timely advice to clients on HR processes and policies, ensuring the highest level of client-orientation ;
- Proactively advise clients on the resolution of human resources issues ensuring equitable and transparent solutions that protects both the staff and organizations interests in accordance with policies, regulations and procedures ;
- Promote the organizational goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity.
Strategic Human Resources :
- Liaise with the HQ Divisions, regional and country offices to support and contribute to corporate HR strategy formulation and global implementation. Provide feedback and make recommendations on the establishment and improvement of HR systems, policies and processes ;
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting-edge practices in HR management and contribute to the development of global policies, procedures and introduce innovation through sharing of best practices and knowledge learned.
Support to Implementation of assigned Human Resources Services :
- Provide support to various or one specific HR occupation (recruitment, job classification, career development, performance management, data analytics, learning & development etc.) to help their supervisors in implementing efficient client services that help either attract, retain and/or motivate staff of the highest caliber ;
- When assigned casework in the relevant area on either a routine or non-routine basis, analyze and synthesize issues and problems, and interpret established, formal guidelines to address and recommend solutions or further actions required.
Learning and Capacity Development :
- In collaboration with business owners, support the design and delivery of learning plans for staff ;
- Contribute to the mapping of competencies for all staff included in the assigned client portfolio, assisting in the development of a comprehensive framework in support of the development of the talent pipeline ;
- Research on efficient and cost-effective learning products which enable staff to develop their skills and competencies ;
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders ;
- Provide orientation briefing to new staff.
HR Data Analytics :
- Collect, interpret and analyze HR data to help inform decision making on HR processes and strategies ;
- Support the development and implementation of data collection systems to optimize data quality ;
- Coordinate with country offices and partners to provide assistance in their HR information management.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A University Degree in human resource management, business management, international relations, organizational behavior, psychology or another related field is required ;
- At least two years of professional experience in human resource management in an international organization and/or large corporation is required ;
- Advanced knowledge of the principles and concepts of human resources management ;
- Excellent knowledge of information technology systems and tools ;
- Fluency in French with a working knowledge of English is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
- Analyzing ;
- Applying Technical Expertise ;
- Following Instructions and Procedures ;
- Planning and Organizing ;
- Relating and Networking.
View our competency framework at : Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.