Position Start Date : ASAP
Duration : 6 months
Location : Maiduguri – Nigeria
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled Due to the transport constraints linked to the health crisis, we will favor candidates already expatriated in Nigeria
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
Tdh has established a Country Office in Nigeria since the last quarter of 2017 to join the Lake Chad Basin Crisis whole humanitarian response from this country. Up to now, the organization is operating only in Borno State, essentially in the Eastern Part of the State -> the “Eastern Crescent” of the State. Tdh is targeting people affected by the crisis by addressing humanitarian gaps related to the access to certain primary needs or social basic services.
In term of Health, Tdh has launched its Health Unit in 2019 in order to complete its response in term of public health (started with WASH operations). The goal is to provide a support to the people affected by the crisis in term of primary health care services (by supporting of the governmental health facilities or by potentially implementing the services directly), as well as community health services.
Despite early prevention measures taken by both the authorities and the humanitarian actors, the COVID-19 outbreak is currently spreading across the country. As of 20th April 2020, Nigeria had 665 confirmed COVID-19 cases and Borno State had recorded its first three cases, including in IDP camps settings.
Reporting to the Head of Programs, the Health Coordinator is the focal point for health programs in country and will ensure the implementation of high-quality health programming in communities where Tdh is present. The Health Coordinator is expected to spend a significant amount of time in field locations, working with, training and mentoring field teams. This position is responsible for programmatic resource development, advocacy related to Tdh’s humanitarian health response, and overall strategic direction of the health program, including later transition from emergency to longer-term programming. In addition, the Health Coordinator is responsible for maintaining regular contact with all partners, including the Ministry of Health, UN agencies and other NGOs, and will also be responsible for fulfilling the Tdh’s strategic objectives for the health sector.
In the current context, the Health Coordinator plays a key role in Tdh response to COVID-19 outbreak in Borno State. He/She provides the technical guidance for Tdh overall response and contingency measures, as well as ensures the coordination with the Ministry of Health, WHO, COVID Task Force, and all the relevant stakeholders, guiding Tdh contribution to the Borno response plan.
Technical Quality and Program Management :
- Provide technical leadership to the health program in accordance with best practice and Tdh policy, in collaboration with the Head Office Technical Unit ;
- Oversee the planification and management of the implementation of health, with the support of the Head of Programs and in collaboration with other programs and with all support units ;
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all health projects are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) ;
- Ensure all required internal and external reporting and monitoring tools and reports are completed on time and to a high standard ;
- Oversee the collection and timely reporting of program data and indicators for all health programs in line with Tdh’s guidelines and according to internal and donor requirements ;
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans and design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems for the Tdh health programs ;
- Coordinate and closely monitor the implementation of the Tdh’s health programs against agreed work plans, performance targets, and budgets to ensure that programming is on track ;
- Ensure that health programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as outlined by the Ministry of Health and WHO. Ensure that all health activities are consistent with established best practices ;
- Supervision of rational drug prescribing across all Tdh supported health services ;
- In-conjunction with supply chain, and medical logistician, overall supervision of medical supply forecasting, procurement and distribution ;
- Strictly follow up the medical and operational supply chain system, stock recording, timely ordering for the supplies and accountabilities in relation to the warehousing and using of the supplies including medicines and medical items ;
- Provide technical expertise across programs to strengthen Tdh multisectoral approach.
Coordination & Representation :
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors ;
- Participate in state level coordination meetings relevant to the Health sector ;
- Actively participate to Tdh internal coordination in Nigeria.
Staff Supervision & Development :
- Directly supervise the middle management level staff (Project Manager, Deputy Project Manager, Technical Supervisor, Team Leader and potentially Data Entry Officers), ensuring regular performance reviews ;
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions ;
- Co-lead, in collaboration with the HR Unit, the recruitment of health staff, and in coordination with potential additional stakeholders ;
- Ensure training and ongoing capacity building opportunities for staff on technical and project management skills.
Grant Management and Reporting :
- Supervise implementation and ensure adherence to grant work plans, spending plans and monitoring and evaluation plans ;
- Work closely and coordinate with Tdh support units (Finance Unit, Grant Unit, Logistics, etc.) to ensure compliance with grant requirements ;
- Supervise development and maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and reporting systems and processes ;
- Ensure high-quality Tdh and donor reports on activities, indicators and achievements ;
- Ensure, in collaboration with program managers, the reviewing of data (funds spent) from Budget Monitoring Tools for health programs on a monthly basis.
Program and Business Development :
- Lead the development of the strategy for the health program, including defining exit strategies and implementation plans accordingly ;
- Contribute to the development of the overall country program strategic direction ;
- Identify opportunities for new program development; draft concept papers, proposals and budgets for future health programs ;
- Lead technical assessments as a basis for health program development.
Other Duties :
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to Tdh management and liaising with other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment ;
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop TdH programs.
- Health professional with strong public health background (MPH desirable). Clinical degree is preferred, but not required ;
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in coordinating, implementing and managing health programs in emergency contexts ;
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local health representatives ;
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills ;
- Previous experience supervising and managing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting ;
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of national and international staff ;
- Demonstrated experience in grant management and proposal writing ;
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint ;
- Capacity and skills in direct implementation, advisory functions, training and management skills ;
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment, displaying patience, compassion and diplomacy ;
- Fluency in English required.
- Expatriate contract under Swiss labor code 3’400 CHF (~2’950 €) < > 4’750 CHF (~4’100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times ;
- 25 days annual leaves, local accommodation and transportation, health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff ;
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies ;
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online : Postuler ici
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes : https://vimeo.com/253387418