The Regional Programme Coordinator oversees all functions related to the regional programme and provides support on operational and managerial issues. S/he is part of a team providing integrated programme and technical support, and ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring of the regional programme.
You will report directly to the Deputy Regional Director, who provides overall direction and guidance.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in program results.
The Regional Programme Coordinator ensures the effective and coherent implementation of the Regional Programme.
In all activities, s/he fosters collaboration within the Regional Office, particularly with the Monitoring & Evaluation and the Delivery units, the team providing integrated programme and technical support; with programme and technical staff in the Regional and Country Offices; with the Programme Division, including the Humanitarian Office, Knowledge Management and the Regional Desk; and, with other HQ Divisions, ensuring the timeliness, adequacy, relevance and quality of programming support to countries.
The primary activities of the Regional Programme Coordinator consist of Regional programme coordination, coordination of programme management capacity development activities, knowledge management and management support. The key results of the function include:
- Operationalization of regional initiatives
- Coordination with regional initiatives of other organizations/institutions
- Effective implementation of regional programme
- Effective oversight of regional programme under the supervision of the Deputy Regional Director.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in public health, medicine, sociology, demography, gender, economics, international relations, international development, public administration, management or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in development programmes, of which seven years at the international level.
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in population, sexual and reproductive health, and gender programming.
- Strong track record of leadership and proven ability to produce demonstrable results.
- Extensive network within the development community.
- Strong experience on United Nations programming.
- Proven experience in managing programme funds.
- Strong communications and writing skills in English and French.
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Cultural sensitivity, inter-personal skills and ability to work smoothly under pressure.
- Excellent knowledge of computer standard applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Field experience would be a strong asset.
Fluency in French and English is required. Working knowledge of Portuguese would be an asset.