About the role :
This is a 12 month, replacement role with unaccompanied terms based in Goz Beida, Sila Region, CHAD with a salary Grade 3 €36,527 – €40,586 per annum plus benefits.
You will report to the Area Coordinator (AC) in Goz Beida and will line manage the Logistics Officer, the HR/Amin Officer and the IT Officer. You will work closely with the PMs and the Finance Officer based in Goz Beida as well as with the Systems Director (SD) based in Ndjamena.
We would like you to start on 1st March 2020.
Your purpose :
Is to provide day-to-day support to the implementation of the programme by ensuring that the systems (IT, logistics, administration, and HR ) are functioning according to the needs of the programme and in line with Concern’s policies, procedures and standards. Under the supervision of the AC you will enhance managerial and planning skills of Concern Support staff in Goz Beida and contribute to the development of efficient and cost effective systems that meets the IT, Logistics, HR and Admin guidelines, policies and procedures. You will lead the continuous improvement of systems that are in place and suggest amendments as necessary. You will support projects implementation, and provide effective and timely support to all programmes in Goz Beida within your areas of responsibilities. The Base Manager will assist the Area Coordinator in the overall security management for Concern’s field operations in Goz Beida.
You will be responsible for :
Office Administration :
- Overseeing the maintenance and running of Concern premises (office/stores and residence) in Goz Beida (and potential sub-office) ensuring that adequate supplies, staffing and standard operating procedures are in place ;
- Ensure the leases for all premises are actively managed, ensuring payment requests (including taxes) are processed on a timely basis and that contract renewals are assessed and implemented or amended on a timely basis this is conjunction with N’Djamena ;
- Liaise with the Ndjamena office to ensure efficient and timely systems support and collaboration necessary to implement the programme.
- Ensuring adherence to Concern’s systems and procedures for logistics, with support from the AC and the SD ;
- Managing logistics functions (procurement, transport, storage, asset management) in Goz Beida (and potential sub-office), ensuring all tasks are carried out in a timely manner and in line with Concern’s and donor procedures ;
- Fleet and generator management: overseeing and maintaining the programme transport management system, including vehicle movement planning, transport report, etc. and scheduling maintenance/repairs. Special attention will be paid to generator management, maintenance, and fuel management and consumption ;
- Managing Concern’s assets in Goz Beida (and potential sub-office) ensuring all assets are recorded, tracked, marked and monitored using a full inventory and asset register ;
- Overseeing the efficient management of Concern warehouses and stores in Goz beida (and potential sub-office) and ensuring they are operating in accordance with Concern procedures ;
- Contribute to the development of accurate budgets particularly in relation to logistics, transport, stores, administration, communications, security and human resources, for donor proposals and as part of Concern’s annual budget process ;
- Directly manage and monitor the Goz Beida (and potential sub-office) transport and admin expenditure and budget ;
- Ensure that cash forecast for support teams are submitted on time to ensure timely transfer of funds ;
- Work with the programme teams and the Area Coordinator to develop realistic annual procurement plans and ensure that these are maintained, adhered to, and regularly updated ;
- Ensure all Goz Beida Concern staff are trained in order-planning and are aware of the procurement procedures; inform staff about each revision ;
- Advice on distribution of relief items to beneficiaries and ensure they are in line with Concern procedures ;
- Ensure that logs, transport , HR and admin reports are compiled and produced to a good standard on a regular basis as required.
Human Resources management :
- Providing management oversight to the HR/Administration staff. Assist in recruitments (as necessary) and provide training to relevant staff on Concern’s systems and policies and ensure standards of transparency and accountability are in line with Concern policy and donor requirements. In particular work closely with HR staff to build their capacities. Ensure that the Performance Development Reviews of base staff is done in a timely and proper manner ;
- Advise on career planning of system staff ;
- Maintaining up to date staff lists and providing regular staffing reports to the AC and SD, advising on staffing needs ;
- Advise on and monitor the implementation of Concern’s HR policy and procedures with respect to both international and national personnel.
Communications and IT systems support :
- Providing management oversight to the National IT Officer, ensuring that computer and communication needs of the staff are regularly reviewed, budgeted for, and met, while ensuring that relevant operating protocols are adhered to ;
- Ensure that all HF, VHF and other communications equipment are operational, used in line with communication policies and provide requisite training to staff on correct use and usage protocols ;
- In conjunction with the National IT Officer and programme management staff, ensure the training of all relevant programme staff in the use and maintenance of communications and IT equipment.
Security and Representation :
- Support the AC in the day-to-day application of the Concern CHAD Security Management Plans (SMP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Goz beida and sub offices through collaboration with the Security Focal Group ;
- Perform all security assessment to new/potential operation areas before program teams are deployed ;
- As asked and/or delegated by the AC ;
- Provide briefing to staff and visitors on the SMP and SOPs and ensure all staff are fully aware of their duties and responsibilities related to security ;
- Represent Concern with local authorities and/or the UN OCHA Security meetings and other members of the humanitarian community in Goz Beida ;
- Under the supervision of the AC, undertake analysis of security incidents and trends in the zone of intervention and surrounding areas, ensuring that line management is regularly briefed on the security situation and advise as necessary in relation to adaptation of workplans and movement plans ;
- Ensure that residences, offices and vehicles have a list of goods and equipment required in case of emergency ;
- Assist the AC in developing relationships/contact list of other INGOs, OCHA and external stakeholders to follow the evolution of security situation and regularly report feedback to management ;
- Ensure that any relevant security information and/or security incident you are aware of is communicated to the AC in a timely manner. This is a responsibility of every Concern staff ;
- The BM is a the primary contact for the outsourced security company, monitor and feedback on the quality of the services provided
Safeguarding Policies and responsibilities :
- Adheres and enforces Safeguarding policies in his area of responsibility ;
- Adheres to Complaint Response Mechanism and facilitates its implementations.
Your skills and experience will include :
- Primary degree in logistics, supply chain management or associated discipline ;
- At least 3 years’ Systems/Logistics experience, with management experience, of which at least two years’ working overseas with an NGO; Logistics/Procurement/Transport/fleet management experience; stores management experience ;
- Proven ability in report writing ;
- Excellent communication skills in French, good level of English, both written and verbal ;
- Strong communication, problem solving and analytical skills. Able to prioritise and handle a diverse and heavy workload ;
- Proven analytical, planning and time management skills ;
- Willingness and ability to communicate with people and to contribute to local staff capacity development ;
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team ;
- Politically and culturally sensitive ;
- Ability and willingness to live in basic conditions for long periods of time ;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- MSc or A degree in development studies or relevant field ;
- 2 years’ experience in management role ;
- Outgoing personality with excellent training skills ;
- Experience of working/living in an insecure environment ;
- Experience or knowledge of international standards such as SPHERE and Core Humanitarian Standard ;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.