Recrutement d’un responsable des opérations sur le terrain, Tchad
Ref : MIM
Role Overview :
To effectively develop and manage all aspects of the Reserve. This will include the standard; Park management & Infrastructure, Counter-poaching, Research & Monitoring, Building a Constituency for Conservation, Tourism once in place and, Administration, Human Resources and Finance
Client Description :
- Our client is a non-profit organisation that takes total responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities ;
- Our client currently manages more than 12 parks in different African countries.
Duties & Responsibilities, KPA :
Infrastructure development :
- To initially construct a basic forward operational base to be equipped with stores, communication equipment, a small workshop accommodation and office space from where the park can be managed ;
- To construct an all-weather access road from their existing park to the new park ;
- After establishing the protected area boundaries to open a boundary road that corresponds with the actual protected area boundary ;
- To open a road network inside the protected area ;
- To construct a basic all-weather access road to the interior of the protected area to serve as the logistical backbone to support ranger teams in the wet season ;
- To construct sufficient airstrips, including all-weather airstrips, to allow aerial support ;
- If necessary, ensure dry season water access for wildlife by enhancing existing waterholes.
Law Enforcement :
- To select and train a small ranger team for initial law enforcement operations in the protected area ;
- To initially stop nomads from entering the protected area. This will have to be handled sensitively through sensitization rather than by force ;
- To put in place a basic rotation schedule to ensure 24/7 presence in the protected area ;
- To be involved in the daily patrol deployments from the Control Room in order to be on top of the anti-poaching patrols ;
- Once possible to do regular surveillance flights ;
- To provide the park manager with a monthly report on the law enforcement effort.
Conservation, Research & Monitoring :
- To initially record all wildlife animals found in the protected area and to create an animal and bird species list ;
- To ensure firebreaks are put in place at the end of the wet season to protect the protected area from fires started outside the area ;
- To eventually put in place the necessary preparations to receive wildlife from other parks for translocation ;
- To monitor the movements of any translocated wildlife through satellite tracking ;
- Building a Constituency for Conservation ;
- Through sensitization meetings inform all nomads upon arrival at the beginning of the dry season of the protected area boundaries and the benefits of having a protected area ;
- Through regular community meetings inform the sedentary villagers of the protected area boundaries and the benefits of having a protected area ;
- To assist the sedentary villages and the nomads upon their arrival with basic education through a schooling system similar to the elephant school project run by one of the parks ;
- After careful consideration, and within the guidelines of the development plan for the Melfi area, provide seasonal water for the nomads outside of the protected area.
- Build and maintain good relations with the local authorities in the area ;
- Ensure a motivated staff through team building initiatives and incentives when and where necessary ;
- Properly plan the use of shared resources, like earth moving equipment, with the PM ;
- Any other duties as requested by the park manager.
To provide the park manager with a standard format monthly report by the latest the 5th of each month on the activities in the protected area.
Other conditions :
- Final employment will take place after the satisfactory completion of a 3-month probation period ;
- Proficiency in the French language.
Key relationships :
- Park Manager and Management Team in the neighbouring Park ;
- Regional law enforcement staff ;
- Local authorities.
- Good relationships with all stakeholders ;
- Necessary infrastructure in place to manage the park and provide logistics for the law enforcement team ;
- Zero nomads entering the park and any poaching activities contained ;
- Certain key wildlife species translocated and settled in ;
- Local communities buy in to conservation as the best form of land use for the area ;
- Motivated staff.
Education & Experience Required :
- Able to communicate in French ;
- Qualifications in protected area management ;
- Experience in protected area management ;
- Experience in counter-poaching, preferably military or police background ;
- Infrastructure development experience ;
- Ability to work in remote area on his/her own – can get along on their own away from other people with the bare minimum. The Park does not have any permanent structures and will continue to be a lonely place until it becomes a National Park and the full unit compliment is employed ;
- Practical development experience – the top priority for the FOM is to put in place the necessary infrastructure (roads, airstrips and bases) ;
- Initiative – self-starter able to get things done and solve problems with minimal oversight.
Benefits and Contractual information :
Location : Chad
Reporting to : Park Manager (PM)
Direct Reports : The entire Park operation as part of the greater strategy
Start Date : to be discussed
Salary : Neg.
Duration : employment contracts run for 3 years, with the possibility to renew
Benefits : Emergency evacuation and hospitalization medical insurance, Group life and disability cover for up to 6X annual salary, 21 days leave (excluding max of 4 travel days) for every 100 days worked, 3 return economy class return flights annually to home country (if expat),
Please apply directly, by clicking on the Apply Button below and visit our www.banking-recruitment-jobs.com here for more exciting opportunities.
Lisa Stroud | Senior Associate
CA Global Africa Recruitment
Tel : +27216599200
Email : [email protected]
Website : www.caglobalint.com
If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.