About the role :
This is a 24 month, replacement role with unaccompanied terms based in N’Djamena with a salary of €44,095 – €48,995 – Grade 5.
You will report to the Country Director and will line manage Area Coordinator Goz-Beida, Emergency Response Programme Coordinator (Lac); Communication and Advocacy Officer, PSO, M&E Manager and work closely with Country Finance Manager, Base Manager (Goz Beida); HR Manager, Dublin staff (RD, Desk Officer, SAL technical advisors, etc.)
We would like you to start asap.
Your purpose :
Concern has been operating in Chad since 2007 and, following an initial response to the refugee crisis in the East, has further developed its presence in country mainly through integrated programme and by working on the nexus humanitarian-development. Concern is widely recognize in Chad as one of the main actor for resilience programming and is one of the few organisations with a long-term programme to address the root causes of vulnerability. Concern Worldwide has been recently selected as Consortium Lead for a 3-year programme DIZA “Programme de Développement Inclusif des Zones d’Accueil au Tchad”, and is strengthening its work on long-term programming and resilience in the Sila Region as well as in the Lake, where currently has also scaled up its humanitarian intervention to support vulnerable communities affected by the Lake crisis.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) you will provide leadership in the development and management of the overall country programme, ensuring an integrated multi-sectoral approach in both a development and emergency context. Reporting to the Country Director (CD), take specific responsibility for coordinating and managing the implementation of Concern’s programme in Chad in accordance with relevant policies and the country plan. You will represent Concern to relevant external stakeholders as necessary.
You will be responsible for :
Senior Management role :
- Participate in the development/review of Concern Chad’s Country Strategic Plan (CSP) and other strategic frameworks (Preparing for Effective Emergency Response (PEER), Security Management Plan (SMP), Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) Implementation Plan, etc. in collaboration with all relevant staff and third parties as necessary ;
- Participate in the management of the country programmes strategic issues through involvement in decision making and regular participation in SMT and CMT meetings/discussions ;
- In collaboration with the CD identify and secure appropriate sources of funding to support current and new programme activities in Chad and in line with the country strategic plan ;
- In conjunction with the Area Coordinator(s) and MEAL Manager, ensure that internal and external reporting requirements are met in an effective and timely manner through effective project management and monitoring ;
- Take a lead role in ensuring that Concern Chad adheres to international minimum standards of accountability and quality, through the application of the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS), and other relevant external standards, and internal documents relating to policies and procedures ;
- Disseminate organizational learning through documenting case studies, cross-visits, newsletters/bulletins etc.
Programme development and management :
- Lead programme development by ensuring the development, in a participatory manner, of high quality Project Concept Notes, Proposals and associated budgets, ensuring adherence to Concern Worldwide PCMS, HCUEP, the Chad CSP, and all relevant global Concern policies & procedures ;
- Provide management support to the Area Coordinator(s), Emergency / DRR Manager and MEAL Manager to ensure effective implementation and monitoring of programme activities ;
- Ensure and oversee M&E and primary research and analysis is undertaken in a timely and appropriate manner, including overseeing support visits by regional and SAL Advisors and consultants ;
- Provide technical and management support to the Area Coordinator, Emergency Coordinator, and PM’s to ensure an ever increased integration of the programme and that an effective multi-sectoral M&E system is developed and implemented efficiently and ensuring that achievements of programme goals and objectives are captured as well as issues/challenges and lessons learned are adequately documented ;
- Develop a comprehensive and participatory programme planning and implementation process that includes programme participants, staff, and partners and other stakeholders as appropriate ;
- Oversee the development of Concern Chad’s CHS Implementation Plan and other Accountability Frameworks and provide management and technical support to the Programme Coordinators (Goz-Beida and Lac) and other relevant staff in its implementation ;
- Ensure the highest standards of mainstreaming (HIV&AIDS and Gender Equality) by implementing Concern policies and best practices in accordance with the local context ;
- Ensure new projects are launched with appropriate staff training / induction and agreed programme planning activities (recruitment schedule, procurement plan, etc.) ;
- Working closely with other CMT members, ensure any project closures are carried out in compliance with all relevant donor and Concern requirements, working closely with other members of the CMT.
Resource Management :
- Work with the Country Finance Manager and the programme budget-holders to ensure close monitoring and appropriate management of relevant budgets & expenditure ;
- Ensure that annual programme budgets (and budget revisions) are complete, realistic and comply with relevant Concern and donor requirements ;
- Ensure that project proposal budgets are complete, realistic and comply with relevant Concern and donor requirements.
People Management :
- Line manage PSO, MEAL Manager, Communication and Advocacy Officer, contributing to their capacity building and career development ;
- Provide technical support and on-going on-the-job training and coaching to staff, including in particular a thorough induction at the start of their contract ;
- Ensure that all positions have accurate job descriptions and that each member of the team fully understands outcomes which are expected of them, by setting SMART objectives, and that they are aware of the success criteria relating to their work ;
- Ensure that all staff are aware of and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures ;
- Monitor and review performance and hold staff accountable for meeting the success criteria; give corrective feedback where required and take decisive action in the case of poor performance ;
- Identify technical expertise gaps in relevant sectors and help ensure those gaps are filled (through consultants, Dublin advisors and / or the creation of new Concern Chad positions).
- Stand in for the CD when necessary to represent Concern at relevant government, donor, UN or inter agency meetings ;
- Take on the Acting CD role in the CD’s absence from Chad ;
- With the CD, contribute to national-level NGO / UN coordination efforts to facilitate effective humanitarian intervention in the country ;
- Ensure that Concern is appropriately represented and participates in relevant coordination structures at the field level.
- Take active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as in operational (e.g. HR, logistics, etc.) activities ;
- Ensure the highest standards of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholders’ participation at all stages of the project cycle ;
- Be aware of, understand and comply with all of Concern’s policies and procedures (finance, logistics etc.) ;
- Be aware of, understand, comply with and be a model of Concern’s HR policies like Concern’s Code of Conduct and Associated Policies ;
- Ensure that every member of the programmes team is aware of, understands and complies with all of Concern’s policies and procedures ;
- Fully adhere to security protocols and procedures and ensure that all members of the programmes team also do so. Contribute to on-going security management and planning as necessary ;
- Produce strategic analysis and plans for programme expansion, including in a new area, if required ;
- Actively participate in any emergency response if necessary ;
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director (the line manager for this role).
Your skills and experience will include :
- 3rd level qualification in relevant field humanitarian assistance, development, social sciences or other related professional fields ;
- Fluent French and English (written and spoken) ;
- At least 5 years overseas experience with an NGO with an emphasis on programming and 2-3 years at a senior management level. At least 2 of these years should be in managing a complex and insecure emergency context ;
- Experience of leading and managing a diverse team of senior staff including international staff. Proven strong management ability, including ability to motivate and develop skills of others ;
- Experience of mainstreaming accountability, equality, protection and DRR; ensuring accountability to beneficiaries, staff, partners and other stakeholders; monitoring & evaluation processes, ensuring programme quality ;
- Knowledge of rights based approaches, equality issues and advocacy skills. Strong understanding and commitment to the promotion of equality ;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills. Strong problem solving and analytical skills ;
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital in which the PD position is based and experience fairly basic conditions.
We would also like :
- Work experience in Chad or any Francophone or Sahelian country in Africa ;
- Knowledge of Concern Policies and Programming Approaches ;
- Experience of managing projects transitioning from emergency response to early recovery and development would be an advantage.
Les candidatures en français sont les bienvenues.