L’OIM recrute un chef de projet (les migrants comme messagers), Dakar, Sénégal
- Position Title : Project Manager (Migrants as Messengers)
- Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
- Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
- Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Closing Date : 13 May 2020
A growing body of research suggests that potential migrants are generally distrustful of information campaigns on irregular migration and that they are more likely to believe information obtained through trusted social networks. IOM’s Migrants as Messengers (MaM) project addresses this distrust by using peer-to-peer messaging approaches to empower young people in West Africa to make informed decisions around migration.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Head of Media, Communication and Awareness Raising Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Migrants as Messengers project in seven Country Offices (Nigeria, Senegal, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, The Gambia, Sierra Leone and Liberia).
- Manage the project’s regional implementation in all countries, in a timely manner, overseeing its financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements ;
- Ensure proper coordination in the Country Offices and Sub-Offices with other awareness raising initiatives funded under European Union Trust Fund (EUTF), IOM X, or by other bi-lateral donors at country level, in terms of implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, data collection and information elaboration ;
- Supervise all staff assigned to the project, as well as consultants recruited to support and/or undertake specific activities ;
- Maintain strong partnerships with the donor, Government entities, Development Partners, other implementing partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders ;
- Prepare progress and other reports and monitor information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, the Netherland Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and other stakeholders ;
- Contribute to the development of new projects in awareness raising on irregular migration in relation to expressed governmental needs, donors’ priorities and in line with IOM’s mandate and strategy ;
- Participate in relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM’s image and activities ;
- Undertake site visits and duty travel as required ;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience :
- Master’s degree in Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience in field communications and/or advocacy ; or
- University degree in the above field with seven years of relevant professional experience in field communications and/or advocacy.
- Experience in project management, preferably in (digital) communication and/or awareness raising projects with a UN agency, or a regional or international organization ;
- Operational and field experience in implementing similar projects in the West Africa region, including project development, advocacy and awareness raising and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) ;
- Experience in digital content creation and video production ;
- Experience managing multilingual teams and working in a multilingual region ;
- Relevant exposure to the complex social-political environment of the West Africa region ; and
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish ;
- Fluency in English and French (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Notes : Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Required Competencies :
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values :
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible ;
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct ;
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2 :
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results ;
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes ;
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate ;
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work ;
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2 :
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential ;
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential ;
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile ;
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation ;
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months ;
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members ;
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances ;
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 May 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement ;
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application ;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted ;
- For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment